In the olden days of Ragnarok Online, skills were accessed via a vertical scrollable box in the game. It was very inefficient as players gained more and more skills with each job change, since they would have to scroll through a lot of skills in order to select the ones they want. The interface update in Renewal changed the skill window to a more efficient skill tree layout, but the classic skill window can easily be accessed by clicking the minimize (-) button on the new skill window.
These recent developments of skill layouts and coloration were later applied to that of Ragnarok Online II's.
Skill Types[edit | edit source]
In Ragnarok, there are generally 3 types of skills: Passive, Active, Offensive.
- Passive skills are always "activated" although they may require the user be attacked or otherwise influenced by other environmental effects in order to go off.
- Active skills must be manually activated by the player. Some have a set time period in which they stop by themselves, others can be manually deactivated, and some are one-time-use skills that require manual activation each time the player desires to use them. Active skills do not inflict actual damage, differentiating them from Offensive skills. All Offensive skills are also Active skills, but not vise-versa.
- Offensive skills are simply Active skills that also do damage to other players and/or monsters.
Skills can be further broken down into other sub-categories such as Melee, Ranged, Magic, Supportive, etc. Skills in these categories also fall under one of the three "main" categories listed in the previous paragraph. Some skills fall under multiple sub-categories as well. Ranged skills do not require the player to be standing adjacent to the target, whereas Melee skills generally do. Magic skills almost always involve a Cast Time and are usually Ranged. Supportive skills are termed due to their helpful effects they give to a single player or group of players, enhancing their attack and defensive capabilities. Damage Over Time (DOT) skills, as the name implies, inflicts consistent damage over a certain amount of time.
- RO2 SkillButton.png
The Skill button in RO2.
Skill Points[edit | edit source]
Skill Points are used to level up particular skills in a skill tree. In RO and RO2, skill points are gained with each battle job level (referred to as job level in RO and base level in RO2). The rate of skill point accumulation is 1 skill point per battle job level.
Skill Phases[edit | edit source]
Skill use is a five-step process, three points separated by two phases.
- Skill used
- Skill name appears above character's head.
- Cast time
- Cast bar is visible above character's head.
- Skill activation
- Skill name appears above character's head again.
- Cast delay
- No visible indication. When the delay ends you will be able to use another skill.
- Skill use complete
- No visible indication.
- The specific skill can not be reused for a fixed time. (not all skills have cooldowns)
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In real life, a skill is the learned capacity or ability to carry out pre-determined results often with the minimum outlay of time, energy, or both. In other words the abilities that one possesses.
References[edit | edit source]
External Links[edit | edit source]
- RO Skill Simulator (iRO Wiki)
- RO Skill Simulator (Ragnarok HQ)
- RO Skill Simulator (Divine Pride)
- RO2 Skill Simulator (RO2 Skill Sim)
- RO2 Skill Simulator (RO2 Base)
Patches[edit | edit source]
- Patch (2019 Sept. 18)
- Fixed an issue with baby Doram character's skill window skill icon displaying abnormally.
- Patch (2019 Aug. 21)
- Skill and homunculus skill level settings are changed to be stored server-sided.
- Patch (2018 Jun. 20)
- Skill UI window is now broken down by job classes.
- Patch (2018 Apr. 18)
- Fixed an issue where a skill granted by an item would remain in the skill tree even though the item is unequipped.
- Patch (2003 Jan. 14)
- Implemented quests that will give additional skills for beginners and primary jobs.
Ragnarok Online II
This category has the following 69 subcategories, out of 69 total.
- ► Dancer Skills (35 P)
- ► Family Skills (9 P)
- ► Item Skill (7 P)
- ► Lord Knight Skills (25 P)
- ► Oboro Skills (43 P)
- ► Sage Skills (25 P)
- ► Shadow Chaser Skills (27 P)
- ► Sniper Skills (25 P)
- ► Sorcerer Skills (47 P)
- ► Soul Linker Skills (29 P)
- ► Soul Maker Skills (21 P)
- ► Soul Reaper Skills (17 P)
- ► Stalker Skills (39 P)
- ► Star Emperor Skills (20 P)
- ► Star Gladiator Skills (38 P)
- ► Summoner Skills (35 P)
- ► Super Novice Skills (80 P)
- ► Sura Skills (40 P)
- ► Swordsman Skills (20 P)
- ► Unimplemented Skill (22 P)