|Valley of Gjoll
|Level 100 - 110
||West of Niflheim
The Valley of Gjoll is a steep, dark abyss of a valley.
On iRO, this area is misspelled as the Valley of Gyoll.
- In Norse mythology, Gjöll (Old Norse meaning "resounding") is one of the eleven rivers traditionally associated with the Élivágar, according to Gylfaginning, originating from the wellspring Hvergelmir in Niflheim, flowing through Ginnungagap, and thence into the worlds of existence.
- In Hel, Gjöll is the river that flows closest to the gate of the underworld and is spanned by the bridge Gjallarbrú, which was crossed by Hermód during his quest to retrieve Baldr from the land of the dead. It parallels similar mythological rivers from Indo-European cultures like the Greek Styx. The river is said to be freezing cold and have knives flowing through it.
- Gjöll is also the name of the rock to which Fenrir the wolf is bound.
- Renewal Update (2009 Jun. 17)
- Valley of Gjoll was modified to a 100 - 110 zone to fit with the new level cap of 150. This area was originally a level 50 - 75 zone.